Can a homeowner perform work on their house?

Homeowners can perform their own building, plumbing and/or HVAC work but must use an electrician licensed with the City for any electrical work. When a homeowner performs their own work they must be present during 100% of the project and physically be performing the work themselves. This does not apply to a homeowner working with a contractor non-licensed by the city. Please be aware a "homeowner" is an individual that occupies the residence in which the work is being performed. Any work on a rental property and/or house intended to be resold must be performed by a licensed contractor with the City of Crown Point.

Show All Answers

1. Can a homeowner perform work on their house?
2. Is a permit required to "finish" a basement?
3. Is a permit needed to re-shingle or re-roof a structure?
4. Is a permit required for accessory buildings or sheds?
5. Are permits required for driveways or sidewalks?
6. What is the maximum size of an unattached garage?
7. Are permits required for siding, windows, or door replacements?
8. Are permits required for swimming pools, above and in-ground?
9. Is a permit required for a fence?
10. Is a permit required for a fireplace?
11. Is a permit required for decks, patios, and pergolas?
12. Does the City of Crown Point require contractors to be licensed with the City?